Celebrate Spotify’s Biggest Year for Podcasts This International Podcast Day
It’s only September, but Spotify has already seen our biggest year ever for podcasts. The number of new shows added to the platform this year increased by 240%* compared to 2019, and fans are spending more time streaming podcasts on Spotify than ever before. And since today (September 30) happens to be International Podcast Day, we’re celebrating the milestone by taking a look back at some of the podcasting trends of 2020, as well as debuting some new shows, podcast playlists, and features.
When it comes to podcasts . . .
- Laughter is the best medicine. Comedy has been the top-ranking global podcast category this year to date, with Call Her Daddy, The Misfits, and Office Ladies dominating.
- We’re keeping up with the Os. The Obamas, that is. The Michelle Obama Podcast from Higher Ground held its spot on the Trending Charts Top 10 globally longer than any other podcast since July 2020.
- DIY podcasting is a growing field. Since last year’s International Podcast Day, new podcasts created on Anchor, Spotify’s all-in-one podcasting platform, have increased by more than 380%.*
And to keep the momentum going, Spotify will be celebrating International Podcast Day all week with new playlists, podcasts, and special features. Take a look:
- 9/28: We’re releasing Best of 2020 So Far, a podcast playlist full of this year’s top pods, handpicked by Spotify’s editorial team.
- 9/30: Parcast’s Blind Dating and Gimlet’s Resistance podcasts are dropping exclusively on Spotify.
- No one has ever found love on a podcast until now, on Blind Dating, the new Spotify Original on Parcast. Hopeful singles listen to voices of potential matches before making their choices and having their identities revealed.
- Gimlet’s new podcast Resistance offers stories from the front lines of the movement for Black lives, told by the generation fighting for change. Listen to the Resistance trailer now on Spotify.
- 9/30: It’s International Podcast Day! Stream your favorite pod, and don’t forget to check out Instagram for our International Podcast Day filter. Plus, Spotify for Podcasters is going global for podcasters in Brazil and Mexico. Finally, the most passionate podcast users in English-speaking countries will receive push notifications letting them know that they are in the top 5% of podcast listeners on Spotify—surely something to celebrate.
- 9/30–10/2: Creators like Jemele Hill, Ashley Flowers, and Reba McEntire will be “passing the mic” to spotlight the podcasts they love via their social channels, so stay tuned.
*Numbers stated are from September 30, 2019, to June 30, 2020.