So you just unwrapped an Amazon Alexa, Echo, or Echo Dot—maybe someone who really gets you gifted one, or perhaps the holidays inspired you to treat yo’ self. Don’t start the new year with the smart speaker still sitting in its box. Setting it up to play classic, pop, and everything else is a done deal in three steps.
What you’ll need: your new device, the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet, and your Spotify login info. Here’s how to connect Amazon Alexa to Spotify:
- First, download the Amazon Alexa app from the Google Play or App store, and follow the prompts to set up your new Amazon Echo or Echo Dot.
- Once connected, go to “Settings,” select “Music,” click “Link New Service,” and then tap “Spotify” to input your Spotify username and password.
- Select “Default Services” to set Spotify as your default music service—et voilà.
Bonus hack: Once Alexa is up and running, you can even listen to another user’s Spotify account. Just ask Alexa to “Spotify Connect,” and the device will search for another one on the same Wi-Fi network. Stealing your holiday houseguests’ excellent playlists is encouraged.
Ready? Try asking Alexa to play the very best of your library, or help you discover something new, by saying:
- “Play Spotify.”
- “Play my Discover Weekly.”
- “Play hip-hop music.”
- “Resume Spotify.”
- “Like this song.”
- “Skip forward 20 seconds.”
- “Play the next song.”
- “What’s playing?”
- “What’s this album?”