In recent weeks, listeners around the world have been changing up the way they stream Spotify. With an increased number of people staying home, there’s been an uptick in playing music from home devices—especially game consoles.
Setting up Spotify on your console allows you to stream your own music while playing, whether investigating another world, racing cars, or defeating zombies. Kick back with the great soundtracks from other video games or Spotify’s Top Gaming Tracks playlist for a mix of current hip-hop and rap. (Plus, you can stream music from the console anytime, whether you’re deep in the game or doing something else in your home.)
Here’s how to set up Spotify on your console so you can stream your own music while investigating your world—or another.
How to Set Up Spotify on PS3™, PS4™ and Xbox One
The Spotify app is available for PS3, PS4 and Xbox One consoles. Any of these devices allow you to listen to your favorite songs, artists, and playlists while you’re gaming. Or, you can even use the console to stream podcasts or music while you do something else.
The first step is to download the app on your device. Once you’ve done that, you can log into Spotify one of three ways:
- Use Spotify Connect to link your Spotify app to your device. (More on that here.)
- Enter your Spotify email address and password. (If you usually log in using Facebook, use Spotify Connect instead.)
- Select “Log in with PIN.” Then, on your phone or computer, go to www.spotify.com/pair and enter the PIN on your screen. (This option is not available for PS4.)
PRO TIP: If you don’t have a Spotify account already, you’ll be able to create one by selecting “SIGN UP” on the app. Both Spotify Free and Premium users can stream Spotify through their PlayStation console and Xbox One.
BONUS ROUND: PlayStation users can link their accounts to automatically log into Spotify wherever they log into their PlayStation™ Network account. Or you can link your accounts here.
How to Start Playing on PlayStation and Xbox One
Select Xbox and PlayStation games allow you to listen to Spotify while you play. For the best of both worlds, disable the in-game music (if your game allows) while you stream and add your own music. Here’s how to play your selected music or podcasts:
- Press and hold the PlayStation or Xbox button on your controller to bring up the menu or guide.
- Select “Music” or “Spotify.”
- From here, you can skip songs, play, pause, or adjust the volume.
SECOND BONUS ROUND: PlayStation users can also share what they’re listening to while playing with their friends and teammates during select games. Using the controller, press the “Share” button, then select “Share Music” then choose from “Recently Shared,” “Now Playing,” “Recently Played,” or “Recently Saved.”
Now—start jamming to your favorite tunes while defeating your virtual opponents.
Listen With Friends on Discord
You can listen, game, chat, and party all at once with Discord—as well as see and play what your friends are listening to. Plus, Premium users can even listen together with Listen Along. To get started:
- On desktop, download the Discord app and open it.
- Click “Connections” in the menu on the left.
- Click Spotify.
- A web page will open to connect. If you’re not already logged into Spotify on the device, you’re directed to log in or sign up first.
- Once you’ve connected Spotify to your Discord account, you can choose to display what you’re listening to in real time on your profile.
If you’re a Premium user, you’ll be able to listen along with your friends. Simply click someone who’s Listening to Spotify from your list of friends on the right, and select the Listen Along icon, which looks like a person with a play button. If you Listen Along with a friend who has Spotify Free, you’ll hear silence when they hear advertisements.
PRO TIP: It’s not possible to Listen Along when voice chatting—use text chat instead for the best of both worlds.
Now that you’re all set up, you may be looking for something to stream. No worries, our Gaming Hub has you covered.