Today’s Spotify Stream On Announcements
At Stream On, we revealed how Spotify is continuing to go all in on the limitless power of audio—the opportunity and the potential it represents for Spotify, creators, and fans everywhere around the world. Today, Spotify’s library contains more than 70 million tracks, 4.5 billion playlists, and more than 2 million podcasts, made by over eight million creators—all of that is something to celebrate.
Here’s a snapshot of our news today:
- Spotify Expands International Footprint, Bringing Audio to 80+ New Markets
- President Barack Obama and Bruce Springsteen Join Forces in the New Podcast ‘Renegades: Born in the USA’
- A New Era for Podcast Advertising
- Spotify’s Anchor Innovations Are Bringing the Future of Audio to the Present
- Five Things to Know About Spotify HiFi
- Spotify Unveils New Ava DuVernay Podcast Dedicated to Social Change
- ‘Tell Them, I Am’ Higher Ground Podcast Brings Muslim Voices to the Forefront
- Spotify’s Key Updates for Creators
- Spotify Is Proud to Partner with Iconic Creators the Russo Brothers
- Audio Brings New Dimension to the DC Comics Universe
During the livestream event, we revealed some new numbers demonstrating Spotify’s progress in helping more creators succeed:
- More than $5 billion paid out to rights holders in 2020
- 57,000 artists represent 90 percent of monthly streams on the platform (quadrupled in just six years)
- Over the last four years, the number of recording artists whose catalogues generated more than $1M+ a year across recording and publishing is up over 82% to more than 800 artists.
- The number of recording artists whose catalogues generated more than $100,000 a year is up 79% over the last four years to more than 7,500 artists.
We also showcased the current audio library and our relentless pursuit to connect creators and listeners at scale by:
- Expanding Daily Mix: New mixes based on the artists, genres and decades you’ve been loving lately—that update every day and learn as you listen. Listeners can be on the lookout for the playlists in the months ahead.
- Testing Podcast Topic Search: The feature, which enables listeners to search for podcasts by theme and topic, is currently being tested in the U.S., with plans to roll out to more locations this year.
Stream On included special appearances from creators and storytellers from all over the world—both established and emerging—including J Balvin, Jemele Hill, Khalid, BLACKPINK, FINNEAS and Billie Eilish, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Ava DuVernay, Halsey, Lauv, Lous and the Yakuza, Brené Brown, Bruce Springsteen, and President Barack Obama. A special performance from Justin Bieber including a never-before-heard version of his hit “Lonely” closed out the event.
Miss a beat? Visit Spotify.com/StreamOn to see how we plan to lead the path forward as one of the only audio-first companies in the space—and to continue empowering creators around the world using our unparalleled data, insights, and powerful platform.