We know that Spotify listeners crave audio at every moment—including when they’re busy or on-the-go. And when it comes to tasks like cooking, exercising, or running an errand, sometimes your hands are tied. So we set out to develop a new voice-controlled experience called “Hey Spotify,” to make it easier for our users to start, navigate, and search for their music and podcasts—without using their hands.
This new feature, built within an existing user experience listeners have come to know and love, unlocks a truly mobile and versatile way for users to enjoy voice-controlled access to the personalized Spotify experience, anytime, anywhere.
Read on for five things to know about the new “Hey Spotify” voice experience.
- It’s up to you to turn it on… Go to Search, tap the mic icon, and give Spotify permission to record audio or access your microphone. Once that’s enabled, say “Hey Spotify” to ask for music and podcasts, control playback, and more.
- …Or turn it off: Simply tap the gear icon to go to Settings, then tap “Voice interactions.” You can turn off “Hey Spotify” or tap mic permissions to disable the voice feature completely.
- No more Search parties: ‘Hey Spotify’ means that you can access Spotify Voice from anywhere in the app, so you no longer have to go through the Search tab to access the voice feature. Simply say a phrase like “Hey Spotify, play my Daily Drive,” to instantly hear the mix.
- It’s easier to listen to what you like: You can ask Spotify directly to play countless songs, artists, moods, and genres—from the artist you’ve listened to for years to a new track you can’t get out of your head. Even if you’ve forgotten the name of a specific song, just asking Spotify to play a particular artist or genre will get you to music you’ll love. Or, if you’re in the mood for podcasts, jump back into your latest listening binge by asking us for your favorite shows.
- When you say, “Hey Spotify…” the app will begin picking up what you say, and continue only until it’s processed your question or request. Plus, Spotify will always indicate—with an in-app visual or audio tone—when it is receiving your voice input. The rest of the time, the app listens for “Hey Spotify” in short, few-second snippets that are deleted if you don’t say it. To learn more about how “Hey Spotify” works, see our voice controls policy.
“Hey Spotify” recently started rolling out to some listeners in the U.S. across iOS and Android devices, with more to follow over the next few weeks.